Wednesday, 6 August 2008

First day at Microsoft

Sorry for not writing in awhile.

Julie & I went on a relaxing trip to Bulgaria last week. It was very nice. Great weather & beaches. The food left much to be desired. We are glad to be back on a Dublin Diet.

So, Microsoft. Yesterday I had a boring full day orientation of procedures and policies. But Today, I got to work. I arrived this morning with 4 Computers (all in boxes) on my desk and 1 more computer already setup. I have a total of 5 computers now on under my desk. However, they are all connected to the same monitor, keyboard and mouse so its very easy to switch between them. I spent half my day just getting all of the computers out of the boxes and up and running.

4 of the 5 computers are all Macintosh. Today was my first real experience with the mac platform and it was a pleasant experience. Very easy to use even for doing complicated tasks like partitioning the hard drive. I feel that I can already use a mac fairly quickly and efficiently, which is awesome news!

The very last part of my day I spent on learning a new programming language called Applescript. This will be the language I will be writing most of my automated tests with. It seems like an easy but powerful language and I am looking forward to using it.

Lunch at Microsoft was awesome too. I had salmon, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas, and potato wedges. It was very tasty. I sat with my boss and colleague and we talked about traveling, youtube, sports, and Microsoft. The cafeteria is subsidesed by Microsoft. I am told meals are usually around 3.50 to 4.00 euros which is pratically cheaper than me bringing in my own lunch. They also have free soda and coffee which is nice.

It takes me about 60 minutes to get to work which kinda sucks, but its all just walking and taking the train. I plan on listening to Spanish lessons or Brian Tracy on my mp3 player during the time, so it will not be wasted.

Microsoft is a surprisingly ethical company. They talk about ethics alot and they are very much a part of the green movement.

All in all, it was a great day and Microsoft seems like an awesome company to work for.
--Ben

3 comments:

Aureus said...

Interesting and a good vision into what the future of Aureus will be. I like the ethics comment. Most companies in my experience are "ethical", but ethics are in the eye of the beholder.

Ted "Yoda" Bailey

Unknown said...

How about soccer? Are they any good :)?

Ted Williams said...

Can't go wrong with Brian Tracy!