Saturday, 13 February 2010

OCR

Many of the photos we took in the German archives were originally written using typewriters. This meant that I could potentially get the computer to interpret the photos and convert them into digital text. This technology is called Optical Character Recognition (OCR).

So I tried a few images on a free OCR program to see if I could convert them to digital text. The result was terrible. Only about 20% of the words were correctly converted to digital text. I was just about to go tell Julie that this OCR technology was not good enough and wouldn't be of any value to her. I was about to give up...

But then I got to thinking. OCR technology has been around for 20 years now. I refuse to believe it is that inaccurate to the point where its effectively useless. I decided to try another OCR software just in case. I had a breakthrough! Over 90% of the words this time were correctly converted into digital text.

So, it goes from an image like this:




to text like this:


bin ich mit der Bahn hingetsohren, morgens war schlechtes Wetter. Ich habe dann in Homburg zu Bittag gegessen und bin im Park anschließend spazieren gegangen. Da^l^ln habe ich mich auf die Kurhausterasse gesetzt und ganz ~emü:t;lich bei netter Tanzmusik Raffee getrunken. Die Sonne schien wieder. An meinen Tische setzte sich noch ein jüngeres Ehepaar und eine anscheinend lustige Witwe (~o von Ende 30 Die -lustige Witwe brachte in kürzester Zeit ein lustiges Geisprach in Gang, 80 wurde es ein fröhlicher Nachmittag. Ich habe auch oft getanzt, zum ersten Male hier in Frankfurt! Viele hübsche Lädchen waren hier. Es war ganz wunderbar. Heider bin ich nun noch nicht auf die Saalburg gekommen. Doch ich habe ja noch viel Zeit dazu. Fair macht es jetzt großen Spaß immer Niereh ganz alles n auszugehen. Es ist so Schonleich um niemand kümmern zu brauchen. so kann ich die Sonntage ganz genießerisch verleben und bekomme immer viel zu sehen. Tn Homburg habe ich gestern nach dem Essen eine ganze lange Zeit im Park auf einer Bank gesessen und die Zeitung gelesen und die Leute an mit vorbe~promer.ieren lassen. Ihr werdet es sicher ja hier ähnlich gemacht haben. Aber diese große Ruhe und das "~ich-nicht-zu-beeilen-brauchen" ist etwas sehr Wohltuendes Bach dem stets emsigen Betrieb im Werk.

Ich habe hier jetzt über manches sehr gestaunt. Der Hausmeister ~~ ist ganz gewöhnlicher Fabrikarbeiter. Er hat vom Werk hick im Heim eine 4 Zimmerwohnung zur Verfügung gestellt bekommen, wie man sie in Braunschweig nich, ke^r reit ! 11 ie Frau Hochmut h ~ mir heü:t~e mal Ihre Wohnung gezeigt. Die Leute sind etwa so alt wie ihr , haben einen erwachsenen Sohn und eine etwa 24 Jahre alte verlobte Tochter. Die Zimmer sind alle riesenhaft groß und wunderschön zurechtgemacht. Küche rundherum mit weißen Fließen, Dampfheizung , Spülbecken mit fließenden warmen und kalten Hasser, Gasherd, elektrischer Herd, . Gas und Strom gratis. Großer Balkon mit hübschen Balkenmöbel. Die Wohnungseinrichtfing ist Wunderbar. Flur mit rot-weißen Schleiflackmöbeln, Lohnzimmer mit ebenfalls m^odernen^/ge^s^c~a^ck^v^o^l^l~n und teuren Möbeln. Diese Sachen kauften sie sich immer von den ahrespramie~ und von den Betriebsprämien (die es extra gibt, wenn der Betrieb Oberschuß abwirft ~ , sagte mir die Frau Hochmut. Der Sohn ist auch Arbeiter im Werk und hat sich ein eigenes flaue gebaut. Ebenfalls mit Dampfheizung und Garage. 500 Mark Mußte er haben, alles andere gab die I.G. dafür bezahlt er für 6 Zimmer (Soviel hat das Haus) 35 ~ Miete (Zinsen) Er hat sich) da er Junggeselle ~'s~ (er war es, jetzt hat er sich auch verlobt) ein kleines Auto gekauft. D i e ungelernten Arb e it e r kö nnen ^8 ich das natürlich kaum erlaubend aber zu einem Motorrad reicht es



Now that the picture is in digital text, I can then put it through google translator. It comes out looking something like this:



The sun was shining again. At my table sat down yet to a younger couple and a merry widow apparently (~ o of late-30 The Merry Widow took in the shortest time a fun Geisprach in motion, 80 it was a joyful afternoon. I have danced often times the first Here in Frankfurt, many pretty little shop were here. It was quite wonderful. Heider now I am not yet come to the Saalburg. But I've still got a lot of time to do so. Fair is now great fun always assumed Niereh s quite all. It is so Schonleich need to worry about anyone. I can spend all your Sundays more enjoyable, and always get to see. Tn Homburg yesterday I was sitting after dinner quite a long time in the park on a bench and read the newspaper and people with let ~ promer.ieren reserved. You will indeed have made here are certainly similar. But this great peace and the "I ~-hurry-to-no-need" is something very comforting about the ever-bustling river operations at the plant.

I was amazed at some things here now, very much. ~ ~ The caretaker is very ordinary factory workers. He scored from the factory hick placed in the home a 4 bedroom apartment available, how she is not in Brunswick, reit ke ^ r! 11 IU women's pride myself Heue h ~ t ~ e time you'll see your home. The people are about as old as you, have a grown son and a daughter got engaged about 24 years old. The rooms are all trimmed gigantic big and beautiful. Around kitchen with white tiles, steam heating, sink with hot and cold fluid haters, gas stove, electric stove. Gas and electricity free of charge. Large balcony with beautiful bar furniture. Wohnungseinrichtfing which is wonderful. Corridor with red and white polished lacquer furniture, contract rooms, also with m ^ odern ^ / ye ^ s ^ c ~ a ^ ck ^ v ^ o ^ l ^ l ~ n and expensive furniture. These things, they bought more ahrespramie by ~ and the single farm payment (which it gives extra if operations chief shot yields ~, the woman told me pride. The son is also working in the factory and has its own built in slack. Also with Steam heating and garage. 500 Mark Must he have all been different, the IG for this he paid for 6 rooms (So much has the house) 35 ~ rent (interest) if it is) because he is a bachelor 's ~ (he was now he has also) engaged bought a small car. T he unskilled Arb e it he can kö ^ 8, I, of course, hardly allowing for a motorcycle but it is enough




Awesome eh?!

Now Julie can read through these and get a basic idea of what is going on and decide whether this will be valuable to her research or not. If it's not of value she can quickly discard it. If it is of value she can put the hard work involved in getting a more accurate translation.

I wrote this blog mostly because of the lesson here. This result is going to save Julie hundreds of hours and is truly groundbreaking. But... I almost gave up at the 99 yard line. I almost thought it couldn't be done. How often do we do this in life?

1 comment:

Ronster said...

That'a boy Ben!!
Love, Dad