Sunday, 21 March 2010

Out of shape upper body

When I was a kid (like most kids) I could swing across 10 monkey bars no problem. If I wanted to, I could just hang on the monkey bars for a minute or two. I even remember another boy trying to pull me off the monkey bars and I was strong enough to hold us both up - at least for a few seconds.


Lately, I have been fairly good at keeping my lower body fit but I have been kind of neglecting my upper body. But, imagine my surprise and horror when I installed a chin up bar in our house, only to find that I can barely just hang there. If I just hold onto the bar, I can only hang on for 5 seconds. Pathetic eh? My chimpanzee ancestors would be ashamed for sure. It's sad to see my body deteriorate with old age.

Anyhow, I have a goal to strengthen my upper body. I currently don't have any metrics for that goal, but they will come soon. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Shoulder push-ups are easy and will help you work towards chin-ups.

http://www.gymfree.net/img/movements/push_shl.jpg

Alternatively, have someone assist you. Hang, bend your knees, and cross your ankles. Someone stands behind you, and as you pull up, they use their hands to push or pull your ankles up.

Here's another solution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eij530hD3fA
(Just don't use the grip that you see in the video. Use an over-hand grip, otherwise you're only working your biceps.)

Aureus said...

www.crossfit.com

You do chin ups every day as a warm up.

Try jumping chin-ups to get going.