Hi Everyone,
Lots continues to happen here in the
UK.
I had a nice trip back home to Canada
over xmas. I spent most of my time with my family in Ottawa. I
hadn't been back for 2 years and it had been too long. My brothers &
I got all caught up on everything from future plans to spanking
children to politics. I was really happy to have some 1 to 1 time
with each and every one of my brothers as well as my parents and
in-laws. I got to meet my new nephew who I hadn't met before and my
other nephew who is now 2 years older from when I saw him last. It
was amazing to see them both but I will say they took up more time
than I wanted to spend with them. Sometimes it was tough to get deep
into conversations with my brothers when the 2 babies were getting
into trouble in the background. I also felt a small sense of cabin
fever because of the snow and I think next time I go back to Canada
it will be in the summer.
I went to see my house & tenant in
Kanata. The house looks to be doing well and my tenant is happy and
seems to be firmly rooted in my house and probably not moving
anywhere anytime soon – which makes me happy. She does want new
carpets which I expected. So we are going to have to budget an extra
$3500 hit this year. I'm still super pumped about that house though.
It's been such a great investment. I'm not really cash flowing yet
on monthly rents but the appreciation has been amazing. Kanata keeps
growing at a rapid pace which can only be a good thing in my opinion.
I wrote up my goals for this year. I'm
pretty pumped about them. I think if we are smart about our money
and time we can accomplish them all. Some of them are pretty
exciting! If we can get a amazing flight prices, I'd like to go back
to Asia this year; Ideally India! I have no idea how to “do”
India but I want to try. The good thing is that London to India
is a major airline route and the prices can be pretty good at times.
If my brother Tom is still in Asia we might go visit him as well.
While my goals are awesome, they are
going to be tough to pull of financially. One of my goals is to be
promoted to a management position. We are going from a team of 2 to
a team of 8. The team of 8 will have 2 management positions and I
think I am a strong candidate for either of them. One of my goals
this year is to get 1 of those 2 management positions and,
consequently, make more money in the process.
We are currently on an aggressive
hiring spree at work hiring about 6 more in my team people ASAP. I
am doing 50% of the work for hiring these people. I've learned a lot
in the process. The biggest thing I've learned is that people lie
like crazy on their resumes. They seem great on paper but when we
start asking them some technical questions they fall flat on the
floor. I've been able to use this knowledge to improve our
interview process. I've implemented an email test that all
applicants must pass before we even talk to them. Basically the
applicants review a small program that I wrote. They can review the
code, the executable, or both. At the end they are to provide me
with a document for how they would test my program and what bugs they
found in my program (I intentionally added a few bugs). My email
test has been a massive success. My favorite scenario is when people
simply respond “this is too hard, I don't want to work here”; so
far 2 people have said that. I love it because we don't waste any
time interviewing that poor candidate. Honestly though, my test is
actually fairly simple. Anyone with a computer science degree from
university could do it with their eyes closed. The people that fail
are the bullshitters. Anyhow, my boss loves this test... it has
saved him lots of time from telephone interviewing losers. I am
hoping that me being a key part of the interview process will make me
a prime candidate for one of those manager positions when they come
around!
My work uses a lot of head hunters to
find people. However, if you find someone yourself (who we
eventually hire) you win a free iPad 2. I am gunning for this prize.
So far I've found 2 people who are making their way through the
interview process. Fingers crossed.
I am still not making the most of this
amazing city though. To be fair there is more going on here than 1
person could possibly do... but I still have a long way to go. I am
slowly signing up for clubs and organizations like Soccer, Badminton,
and renewable energy. I took a cool class on parkour a month ago and
I plan on going back.
The flat I am renting now is not ideal.
Mostly because it's at the wrong end of town & it has no living
room. I am hoping to move soon. Luckily I am only on a 3 month
lease which is about to expire. Julie & I have already scouted
out the ideal neighborhood and I think we can afford it if we find
the right place. We definitely cant afford a 1 bedroom place with a
living room so we will have to have flatmates. I'm thinking it might
be best to just rent a 2 bedroom place and then sublet one of the
rooms out to the person of our choosing.
I think that's about all for now.
Cya

No comments:
Post a Comment