Friday, 12 December 2008

More Irish slang

After my last blog about Irish expressions, I realized I was missing a lot. Here are a few more common ones (but still no where near a full list).

Toilet: They don't say washroom, restroom, or anything like that. You can be in a very fancy restaurant, and you will still hear Irish people say "Excuse me, where is the toilet?". It seems pretty crude to me, but that's just how they say it here.

Go on: The Irish say this all the time, sometimes over and over.
Person 1: I shouldn't eat this chocolate.
person 2: ahh, go on.... go on, go on.

Breaky, wellies, brelly: The Irish have lots of cutesy kind of words. "Breaky" is breakfast; "Wellies" are rubber boots; "Brelly" is an umbrella.

Bird: A girl or a girlfriend

Slagging: means insulting or making fun of someone (usually pronounced without the "G").

Twisted: Very drunk

Fag: Cigarette (I'm surprised they still use this, but they do).

No comments: