Tuesday, 10 November 2009

Work update

So last week the new boss of our new group at work (Pat) came up to me and told me that if I had any questions I should go see him in his office. That's what he said, but the intonation in his voice suggested that he wanted me to come and see him regardless of whether I had questions or not.

Anyhow, today I decided to go see him in his office. I had a few questions to ask him, but the main point I wanted to get across was that I was excited about the new team and wanted to be part of it.

I really got the impression he just wanted people to come to him and say "I want to be on the new team". I think most people aren't doing that and, therefore, Pat doesn't really know where most people stand. He doesn't know if most people are excited about the new team or just grudgingly accepting this merge.

Now that he knows where I stand, I think he is much more excited about me.

I just felt so great about that meeting. I think I have a very strong chance of getting on the new team.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Being pro-active is key! Good on you, mate.

Aureus said...

Good job. It is easy to forget that bosses are people too. We all like to think that managers keep the "best" people, but they keep people who a) will keep them from getting fired and b) make their day at work easy and enjoyable. Talent is easy to assess, Microsoft likely has files that track your performance. Personality is best assessed face to face. He doesn't have to like you, he just wants to make sure you want to be there and to help him achieve his goals.