The Irish have some great words or phrases that really aren't said much anywhere else in the world. Here are a few:
Craic: This is the irish word for fun... you might say "I had great craic at the bar last night". Its pronounced just like "Crack" which is pretty funny. You might also say "What's the craic?".
Thanks a million: We say this on occasion in Canada, but in Ireland I hear it 10 times a day. Its rare to hear just thanks, its always thanks a million.
Your man and your one: Your man means "that guy" and your one means "that girl". So you might hear something like "you know your man from batman" or "your one from accounting was giving me the look today".
Grand: means great. Every day when I pay for lunch and the transaction gets completed, the lunch lady says "That's grand, thanks a million".
Deadly: means really cool or awesome. You might say "that party was deadly last night".
Bollocks: just a swear word. It actually means testicles. It can be interpreted in hundreds of different ways depending on the context.
Knackered: means tired. you might say "I was knackered after my workout yesterday".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hah it's awesome discovering slang and sayings that're used in other countries, eh? Before you know it, you'll be saying them too, mate.
BTW, I think it's spelled "bollocks".
Thanks, corrected.
Post a Comment