Monday, 16 November 2009

Actions speak louder than words

I had an interesting experience today.

I found out on Friday that my immediate boss is leaving Microsoft in a few months.  I was very saddened by this because she was a very good boss to me and also a very good friend.

So, I bought some flowers this morning and hid them under my desk.  I went into her office (without the flowers) and told her, using all the words I could, how I felt about her and how much I appreciated her.  She was happy to hear my words.

After awhile I ran out of things to say, so I told her that I got her a thank you gift as well. I went back to my desk, got the flowers, then gave them to her.  All of the sudden she wasn't just all smiles, but rather tears of joy.  She gave me a big hug.

There's an interesting lesson here:  If you want to convey a message to someone, don't just tell them, show them.   Actions speak far louder than words.  

I'm very glad I got the message I wanted across and so was she.

3 comments:

Ronster said...

Good man, Ben!
Love, Dad

Aureus said...

Good work. You can now use this same approach when you buy me a Christmas present. I am normally not very emotional so you will need to really go over the top with the gift to get a similar reaction.

Max said...

Awesome!